Thursday 2 May 2013

A STUDENT TO HIS TEACHER

Try to be a human being not just a teaching machine
Do not touch only subject, but rather teach us students
Let me feel that you are interested in me as a human being not just a number in your note book
Do not judge me by the marks I get in my test, but rather by the effort I make
Do not expect me to think of school as the greatest pleasure in life
They are not at least for me
Do not expect me to prefer the subject you teach
Other subjects may be interested to me, and perhaps even more so, at least for me
Help me to learn, to think and to judge for myself, not just memorize readymade answers
Help me rather to find the answer myself, through this way may be more painful for both of us
Listen to the questions I may seriously ask, however foolish they may sound to you
If you listen, I might learn to listen to you
Be strict with me, provided you are just. I know that I need it; through outwardly I may rebel against it
Do not ridicule me, especially not before my classmate. It hurts, and I will turn against you
Earnest but kind words in private will be more effective
Do not pity me, especially in front of others, if I do not success so well
Pity can be so embarrassing
Do not point out another student as an example to me
I might hate him….and you….for it
And if I happen to do well, don’t point me as an example to others. It would embarrass me very much. But an occasional deserved word of acknowledgement is most welcome.
Keep your personal problem and political ideas to yourself
I cannot solve to judge them anyway
Remember that once upon a time you were a student yourself
Did you always get the best marks?
And did you never forget a thing?
Please, keep studying yourself; and do not mechanically use in the class the same yellowed notes which you wrote 20 years ago
Do not expect a word of thanks too often
I am grateful; I find is difficult to express my gratitude in words
And so…. Thank you ever so much!
                           
                                                              Ministry of Education- International Year of Child (1979)
  

P.S: The poem was shared by my brother, a teacher himself when I was in XII standard; it is direct copy-paste just to share with blogger friends and as a dedication to my entire beloved teachers. The poem says it all. Happy Teachers day!

1 comment:

  1. I also read it once but couldn't remember every word until you shared it here...thanks for that and I also join you 2 thank our teachers for being 'more than a teaching machine' as rightly brought out in above poem..

    ReplyDelete

A decade of service

  Time does fly fast. It's already a decade into service. Looking back I don't really know if I have contributed anything solid to d...