Thursday 19 June 2014

The greener pasture

Every one of us at some point of time look back and think if only I took a different path; we dream, aspire and envy about the life others have, after all who doesn’t wish and want a better, happier, luxurious and beautiful things in life? But the sad part is that not every one of us is fortunate enough to reach that destination. The bridge that connects one’s present foot to the other often comes with so many prices and so many thorns.

Recently there was a vacant post for pilot in Drukair Corporation Ltd, which I tried my luck. I gave a try not because I do not like my present profession; in fact I very much enjoy my present work, despite the very odd duty timings and not-too-conducive working environment.  Every day I learn new things, touch new things and do new things. But being human, this so-called greener pasture motive had me drive to another land of fantasy. Seniors and colleagues around added the fuel with encouragements. And I am sure pilot is a dream job for everyone; how exciting is to fly over and above the clouds! The profession that involves insurmountable risks is also a very clean and courageous profession which is respected by the society as a whole. Besides the pilots is one of the highly paid professions in any country. You have a better scope in future.

Unfortunately this will be just a dream for ever.

Well, I am not hurt by the failure to get through the written examination, but that day, that very evening after the results were declared, I did realized something which I hope will remain with me and guide me henceforth. The incident has taught me so many life lessons; something in life is never meant to be ours, something is always beyond the capacity of one’s so-called ‘Soenam’ and that all things happen for reason. Even the brain that worked so well once completely does the very opposite at the much needed time. The questions for the written examination were all twelve standard and strangely it was that subject that pulled me down so badly. When expectations exceed achievements which so often happens, it is when we realize that life is fair enough! I also learned that we are what we were disposed to be and it is better to be happy and make best use of what we have and what we are given at hand.

There is always another mountain behind one mountain; we just have to keep walking. We just have to let the wind blow on its own and not disturb its rhythm.

In line with this, once a Bhutanese man went Australia following the steps of others with the hope to make money. He got job which was so easy but was highly paid. His job was just to press the switch ‘on’ and ‘off’. The reward for his simple work bothered him. He asked himself: “why do I get this much pay for just monitoring the switch?” He decided to dig and to his astonishment, every time he switches ‘on’ it triggered the sharp blades that slaughtered live cattle (the bulls). That was when he realized greener pastures are not always green. He resigned and returned to Bhutan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A decade of service

  Time does fly fast. It's already a decade into service. Looking back I don't really know if I have contributed anything solid to d...