Skip to main content

National Dress: A sense of Pride in Foreign Land!


There are certain things in life that makes us special, unique and proud, certain things that make us feel loved and certain things that quenches our thirst. Well, I never realized I had one such thing until a recent trip to Bodh Gaya.I have always been proud to be a BHUTANESE; but I never thought a mere national dress would draw such attention and make me feel different. Even a total stranger seems to know us so well in Bhutanese Dress, comes to us and say: 'hello! Can we have a photo'. Bhutan may be too small, but to the outside world I think we are considered very unique and different and I think every one of us must be proud of that and live up to their expectations, at the least by loving and accepting who we are.

Chinese Pilgrims
Most of Bhutanese youth (may be adults too) are influenced by those fancy western dresses and that is obvious. We have so many youths who are Korean fanatics. However as a matter of fact I have never been carried away by those dress codes, no matter how much it looked good or fancy it is although there are situations where we can't escape; because when we are in Rome we have to be Romans.I always liked our national dress and  I enjoy wearing it. This college life has only made me like more!


And that was when we decided to wear our national dress at least while we are on excursion and yes it was worth wearing!We were proudly walking the streets of Bodh Gaya and it was surprising to notice that within no time we were but the center of attention to the surrounding people. Everyone, both young and old, both Indians and foreigners, both men and women were staring at us. That was when we realized how it feels to be real. Although there was also a moment when those local people tried to take advantage of us, but that never deterred (me at least) to be refrained from wearing our dress in foreign land.


Taiwanese Women
We had some memorable photos with complete strangers. However the point is never to brag of such photo sessions and moments, but a sense of pride and satisfaction we derive as a people from Bhutan; which a Chinese on pilgrimage called the happiest nation in the world!

I am proud to wear my dress (Gho) and shout to the world that I have the biggest pocket in the world!...:) Everyone should give it a try, maybe you will notice the difference!..:)



Popular posts from this blog

The GPL thing

If you are an engineering student in one of the engineering colleges of India, you would probably know what I am going to write about. GPL is one of the most prominent activities you will notice in the engineering college (I am not sure if it also exists in other colleges).  If you have birth day or if something good has happened to you, or get job, then you aren't escaped! You are treated even worse than the animal for a moment with hard leather belts, with slippers or even with rod of sticks until you have zebra crossings on your back. You don’t know whether to cry or to laugh. That is the immediate price of happening something good.
Nobody knows exactly as to how this GPL thing came into existence, but there isn't one who isn't aware of what happens in GPL. GPL stands for Gand Pe Laat. A friend of mine tells me that the concept of GPL originally started within a group of friends; when something good happens to one of the friend, others used to whip his ass (Gand) out of…

Thank You Mother Earth

A home for every existence A life of unlimited you nurture Fresh air and water, clean ambience The bound of kindness and patience You give, sustain and give And never are you fatigue Nor you restrain, rest or refuse Yet the greedy mind you gratify Wants more, exploits and doesn’t care
Here I stand healthy and walk with pride With all the luxurious glories of yours We know you can’t permanently give For this is the law you already know Wisely we shall use you and your wealth And advocate the message of early signs Which you displayed loud and clear Today, tomorrow or the next day We shall revive, protect and sustain
Thank you Mother Earth.....

Tuition/Coaching in Bhutan

Yesterday after work, it was almost 1800 hours when I reached home. I directly went to the kitchen prepared myself dinner hurriedly for I was hungry and in the midst of it, my mobile was ringing. It was my uncle. We talked about our health; they were all good. He was asking me if there was something called temporary class at Paro. I did not understand the meaning at first. Later I knew what he meant; he was asking if there were tuition classes for students on vacation at Paro. I told that I had no idea about it. His son (my first cousin) has finished class XI science this year and he wanted to have tuition during this winter break. He was also talking of the financial burdens he was going through. For a moment I was sympathetic but then a strong infuriated pulse ran down my nerves and I was suddenly angry. Tuition class? Come on!  Yet I controlled it and seemed normal during the whole conversation. We had some minutes of talk till he gave the phone to my cousin. I directly asked him …