Wednesday 3 October 2012

National Dress: A sense of Pride in Foreign Land!


There are certain things in life that makes us special, unique and proud, certain things that make us feel loved and certain things that quenches our thirst. Well, I never realized I had one such thing until a recent trip to Bodh Gaya.I have always been proud to be a BHUTANESE; but I never thought a mere national dress would draw such attention and make me feel different. Even a total stranger seems to know us so well in Bhutanese Dress, comes to us and say: 'hello! Can we have a photo'. Bhutan may be too small, but to the outside world I think we are considered very unique and different and I think every one of us must be proud of that and live up to their expectations, at the least by loving and accepting who we are.

Chinese Pilgrims
Most of Bhutanese youth (may be adults too) are influenced by those fancy western dresses and that is obvious. We have so many youths who are Korean fanatics. However as a matter of fact I have never been carried away by those dress codes, no matter how much it looked good or fancy it is although there are situations where we can't escape; because when we are in Rome we have to be Romans.I always liked our national dress and  I enjoy wearing it. This college life has only made me like more!


And that was when we decided to wear our national dress at least while we are on excursion and yes it was worth wearing!We were proudly walking the streets of Bodh Gaya and it was surprising to notice that within no time we were but the center of attention to the surrounding people. Everyone, both young and old, both Indians and foreigners, both men and women were staring at us. That was when we realized how it feels to be real. Although there was also a moment when those local people tried to take advantage of us, but that never deterred (me at least) to be refrained from wearing our dress in foreign land.


Taiwanese Women
We had some memorable photos with complete strangers. However the point is never to brag of such photo sessions and moments, but a sense of pride and satisfaction we derive as a people from Bhutan; which a Chinese on pilgrimage called the happiest nation in the world!

I am proud to wear my dress (Gho) and shout to the world that I have the biggest pocket in the world!...:) Everyone should give it a try, maybe you will notice the difference!..:)



2 comments:

  1. I didnt read uo a article....i must be trthful ...but ua topic talked all. Its true to all extent. i would read ua article and comment again. i am really proud to be bhutanese. It is true to all extent.

    ReplyDelete

A decade of service

  Time does fly fast. It's already a decade into service. Looking back I don't really know if I have contributed anything solid to d...